Stone is a natural material and slight color variations may occur. Product is photographed wet to better show color. We encourage you to request complimentary samples before ordering.
Standard Pathway Mix
Decomposed Granite for Lower Traffic Pathways
Naturally occurring decomposed granite, commonly known as DG, is created as granite is compressed over millions of years and broken down into a combination of sand and gravel. At Kafka Granite we offer naturally occurring decomposed granite screened to size. However, we also crush nearly 40 different colors of solid quarry rock and recycled materials to manufacture essentially the same type of product as naturally occurring DG. Both naturally occurring decomposed granite and crushed stone screenings are completely organic and environmentally safe.
Kafka Granite’s Standard Pathway Mix aggregate is 1/4″ minus with fines. This specific size allows the product to compact well, creating a firmer surface than conventional gravel, while still allowing water to permeate through. Standard Pathways work great for low traffic walkways, residential driveways, nature paths, dog runs, bike trails, and garden trails. If you are considering using decomposed granite or crushed stone screenings for commercial applications or in high traffic areas, Stabilized Pathway Mix may be more suitable for your project.
The University of Notre Dame, Charles B. Hayes Family Sculpture Park : A Kafka Granite Case Study
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Kafka’s standard pathway mix?
Decomposed granite (DG) is a naturally occurring material. As granite is compressed over millions of years, it’s broken down into a combination of sand and gravel. Kafka Granite has the capabilities to screen the decomposed granite and offer it in very specific sizes as many projects call for precisely sized granite particles.
In addition to being able to screen several colors of decomposed granite to sizes, Kafka has the ability to crush and screen over 50 different colors of solid quarry rock and recycled materials (such as porcelain and fire brick) to size, to mimic the qualities of naturally decomposed granite.
Kafka’s standard decomposed granite and crushed stone pathways perform better than conventional gravel pathways as they create a firmer surface while remaining natural and allowing water to permeate through.
Why would I want standard pathway mix?
Standard pathway mix is an all-natural solution to your pathway needs. Whether you choose to use naturally occurring decomposed granite or our crushed stone screenings, rest assured that both are completely organic and environmentally safe.
Our standard pathways are able to complement the most natural of environments or match nearly any design aesthetic with our array of over 50 different colors.
Can Standard Pathway help me achieve credits for LEED Certification?
Kafka’s standard mix pathways are natural aggregate surfaces, and using them in your construction or design project could gain you points toward LEED (Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design) certification. Kafka also recycles materials such as porcelain, firebrick and slag for use in place of natural stone pathways in order to add recycled content to your project.
All of our granite, quartz and marble pathway materials are a natural material and is less obtrusive than asphalt and cement. It is a permeable pathway solution, which makes it a green pathway option and will aid the soil and water flow wherever installed. Water will be less likely to pool up and more likely to disperse back into the water table.
Where can I use standard pathway mix?
Standard pathway mix is ideal for use in low-traffic walkways, residential driveways, nature paths, dog runs, bike trails and garden trails. It is strongly recommended that instead of standard pathway mix, Kafka’s stabilized pathway mix is used for high-traffic projects.
How do I install a standard pathway?
1. Prep. The sub-grade below a standard pathway should be an aggregate. The compacted base depth should be a minimum of 4” for pedestrian traffic and 6” for vehicular traffic. The sub-grade should be checked for uniformity and should be free of any debris, nails, stones, loose soil, etc. Presoak all areas of application before installing pathway.
2. Weeding. To prevent weeds from growing through your new pathway, consider installing a weed barrier or filter fabric on top of the sub-grade. This step is optional.
3. Edging. Place your desired edging or curbing (optional). Make sure the standard pathway mix doesn’t exceed the top of the edging/curbing and spill over it.
4. Spreading. Try to spread the standard pathway mix as evenly and smoothly as possible. The final compacted depth should be a minimum of 3” for pedestrian traffic and 4” for vehicular traffic (if installing more than 3”, install pathway in 2”–3” lifts).
5. Water. Water the newly spread pathway until it has been penetrated the full depth of the material. Be sure not to overwater and create a muddy path.
6. Compact. Using a one- to three-ton roller or vibratory plate compactor, compact the pathway. Where space is tight and doesn’t allow for a roller or plate compactor, hand tamping can be done with multiple passes. Once compacted, check for dips and uneven areas, adding aggregate and compacting as needed.
How do I maintain a standard pathway?
As time passes, your standard mix pathway will remain firm, but loose aggregate will appear on the surface. This creates a natural look and feel, however if the loose aggregate becomes excessive, you can always water the surface and recompact as needed.
If ever low or uneven areas should occur, simply add material, water and compact. Checking for uneven areas and performing this maintenance will keep your path firm, stable and beautiful for years to come.
Why Kafka Granite’s standard pathways?
Kafka Granite’s standard pathway mix offers many benefits to your pathway projects. We crush standard pathway mix to the ideal size to allow for perfect compaction that creates a firm, stable surface that is still loose enough to allow water to permeate through.
Along with the beneficial permeability of Kafka’s standard pathway mix, we have roughly 50 available colors to match any aesthetic for your project. The quality of Kafka Granite’s standard pathway mix is always apparent. Our quality assurance standards ensure our products are consistent and of high quality to make for the best finished project possible.